Project Tutorial : How to Create Flappy Bird in Unity 3D using C#
RedIronLabs is a VR Unity Game Development team in Calgary Alberta. They specialize in dark horror. As the stream is maintained by Lloyd Summers – the co-founder and the lead developer for RedIronLabs. They are new to streaming and already have 61 followers!
The project that he will work on is “How to Create Flappy Bird in Unity 3D using C#.” This project is in TEACHING mode. It is a live and real-world project. This means that you can interact with the streamer and communicate with them directly using chat. Got stuck? Just go ahead and ask him questions.
- Starting Date: Saturday, April 15, 2017
- Schedule: Saturday, 2-hour sessions, 11 AM MST / 1 PM EST weekly
What is the project about?
We are going to teach you how to develop real games with basic coding skills. We will demonstrate to you how you can use free software to build your very own cross-platform video games. Intended as a beginner level tutorial, you will create your own version of the popular game “Flappy Bird.”
What next? Space Shooter! Stay following us after this program! In each video series, we are going to show you how to create a different game from the ground up, which means you can expand on what you have already learned.
What You will Learn
In this project, you are going to learn some very important concepts in the world of game development, including how to create;
- Your own graphics.
- Your game audio.
- Every line of code focused around C# and Unity3D.
Although the course is focused on Windows, it allows you to create a cross-platform game compatible with over 20 platforms, including the Web, Android, Mac OS X, and iOS.
The best part is that if you get stuck, you can download the source code and project files for each part of the video series for project comparison or better yet, ask for assistance during our live sessions. If you experience difficulties, just send us a message or contact us at discord!
What Can I Do With This?
The completed game is all yours! That means you can do whatever you wish with it. Ever wished to create Flapping Froggy or Flying Mongoose? You can instantly swap out the graphics to create your own desired version of the flappy bird saga. What’s more, you can make some quick cash by putting your game up for sale in mobile storefronts.
What Are The Requirements?
Although we recommend using a Windows PC, you can still get down to work with your Mac OS X or Linux device. In as much as we will teach you everything you need to know, but being comfortable with your computer’s file system and file formats will be helpful.
It would be best to follow along during the live sessions. We recommend having a good coffee or tea and taking your time to work through the videos.
- Windows PC
- You may want to install Unity3D beforehand (http://www.unity3d.com)
Anyone interested in learning about game development:
- You want to build your first video game.
- You want to learn about game engines.
- You want to learn about C# or Unity3D.
Session 1: Setting up the Environment & Getting Creative
- Installing Unity3D (freemium game engine) & Visual Studio Community (free)
- Installing GIMP (freeware graphics software)
- Installing Skale Tracker (freeware music creation)
- Installing Audacity (freeware audio editor)
- Project Setup
- Overview of Making a Game
- Optional Homework: Creating Graphics
- Optional Homework: Creating Audio
Session 2: Creating the Core Game
- Classes Overview, Storing Data, Variable Overview
- Creating a Game Manager, Enums, Events
- Creating the Player Element
- Creating the Tube Element
- Creating the Audio Controller
- Game Loop Logic
Session 3: Interface & Final Scenes
- Creating the HUD (uGUI)
- Creating a GUI Manager
- Creating the Main Menu (uGUI)
- The Start & End Scenes
- Building the Project
Session 4: Refinement
- Outstanding Items
- Closing Celebration & What Is Next
Game development is not only a rewarding profession, but building games is also an adventurous activity. After you learn how to build your own games from this course, not only will you be able to make some extra cash from the sale of your creations, but you shall have also discovered a new hobby. We look forward to having you on board. See you in class!
To watch and learn, you need a LiveEdu Pro subscription. With just the subscription, you will not only be able to learn from this tutorial but also get access to other Premium Project Tutorials.